Coast Guard Western Rivers high water closures, restrictions
Jan. 1, 2016 at 8 a.m.
The Coast Guard has issued a number of river closures, restrictions and advisories in response to floods in the Midwest.
To keep the public and professional mariners apprised of changes to river traffic, the 8th District will continue to issue press releases capturing all closures and restrictions throughout this period of high water and flooding.
The following Coast Guard sectors have issued closures or restrictions:
Coast Guard Sector Upper Mississippi River:
- Upper Mississippi River closed between mile markers 184 and 179 near St. Louis, Missouri.
- Illinois River closed between mile markers 0 to 50 from Hardin, Illinois to Grafton, Illinois.
- For more details on the closures set in place by Sector Upper Mississippi River call the command center at 314-269-2610.
Coast Guard Sector Ohio Valley:
Restrictions on Mississippi River from mile marker 110, near Chester Illinois, to mile marker 34, near Billings Landing, Missouri.
- For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Ohio Valley call the command center at 1-800-253-7465.
Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi River:
- High water safety advisory on Lower Mississippi River from mile marker 869, near Caruthersville, Missouri, to mile marker 303 near Natchez, Mississippi.
- Safety zone between mile markers 737 and 734 on the Lower Mississippi River.
- For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Lower Mississippi River call the command center at 901-521-4824.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans:
- High water towing limitations near Morgan City for vessels heading southbound with a length no greater than 600 feet.
- For more details on the limitations call Morgan City Vessel Traffic Services at 985-380-5374.