Boat Writing Contest Adds Photography and Videos
Awards Purse of $17,000 Reflects 17 Categories
Boating Writers International (BWI) has added boating photography and videos for its 22nd Annual Writing Contest, which recognizes excellence in boating, fishing and travel journalism in a total of 17 categories.
The contest, with an entry deadline of Dec. 31, 2014, will award $500 for first place, $300 for second place and $200 for third place for each of the categories. Photography is a stand-alone category, while videos may be entered into the updated Online Expressions category.
Last year's contest attracted 131 participants submitting 337 entries. Entries are judged by BWI member journalists, and the awards will be presented during the BWI Annual Meeting at the Miami International Boat Show, Feb. 13, 2015.
BWI members in good standing receive two free submissions to the contest; non-members may enter the contest at $50 for each submission.
Contest details, category definitions and entry information are available in a digital brochure. Results of previous years' contests, as well as links to winning submissions, can be found at www.bwi.org under the “Contest” tab.
The complete 2014 list of categories and sponsors includes:
- Boating Columns, KVH Industries, Inc
- Boating Lifestyles, Discover Boating
- Boating Profiles, ZF Marine
- Boating Travel or Destinations, Martin Flory Group
- Boating Adventure, Yamaha Marine Group
- Boat/Engine Care & Maintenance, Interlux Yacht Finishes
- Boating Photography*, Freedom Boat Club
- Ethics & Environment, sponsorship open
- Fishing, Suzuki Motor Corporation
- Boating Issues, News & Analysis, Mercury Marine
- The Business of Boating, Home Port Marine Marketing
- Seamanship, Rescue & Safety, Sea Tow Services International
- Technical Writing, Dometic Marine
- Boat Tests & Reviews, Volvo Penta
- Gear, Electronics & Product Tests, Xantrex/Schneider Electric
- Boat Projects, Renovations & Retrofits, Awlgrip North America
- Online Expressions (including videos*), Boat Owners Association of the United States
Firms or groups interested in sponsoring the “Ethics” category can obtain details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Boating Writers International:
BWI is a non-profit professional organization consisting of writers, broadcasters, editors, photographers, publishers, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry. Those seeking the service of active marine journalists can find a listing of members at www.bwi.org.