IS YOUR BOATING “EARTH-FRIENDLY”?
Simple Tips Can Help Boaters Honor Earth Day April 22
On Earth Day
this April 22, the Boat U.S. Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water
encourages boaters everywhere to go boating, enjoy the fresh air, soak up
the sunshine and celebrate the beauty of nature. But don't forget that we
all need to do our part to keep our waterways beautiful and pollution-free.
Here are simple tips that you can take to keep your boating “earth-friendly”
and enjoyable for years to come.
Stash Your Trash
1. Try to recycle or dispose of extra wrapping, packaging or plastic before
it makes its way aboard.
2 Put sturdy trash and recycling containers on your boat and make it a rule
that everything must go in them.
3. Leave the water and shoreline cleaner than you found it - try to take
home more trash than you came with.
The Scoop on Poop
4. Use onshore restrooms before leaving the dock.
5. Keep untreated sewage out of all coastal and inland waters by closing and
placing a seal on your waste tank's seacock.
6. Schedule periodic trips to the pump-out station.
Help Stop the Drops
7. Don't assume the kid at the fuel dock knows which deck fill is for fuel,
and ask them to not top off the tank.
8. Use oil absorbent pads to catch drips while handing the fuel nozzle
between the dock and the boat.
9. If trailer boating, try to fill up at the gas station if possible.
10. A regular scrubbing of your decks with fresh water and a brush will
reduce your reliance on potentially harmful cleaners.
11. Plan large cleaning and maintenance jobs for when the boat is on the
12. Ask your marina to recycle used zincs.
13. Use a hard (non-ablative) anti-fouling paint if you plan on scrubbing
the boat bottom while in the water.
Here Fishy, Fishy
14. Keep only those fish that you will eat today.
15. Practice catch and release techniques to ensure the survival of those
fish you toss back.
16. Use circle hooks.
17. Wet hands or gloves before handling fish you will release.
Get Earthly Help
18. To learn more about clean boating and to order free copies or download
environmentally-friendly boating brochures for your boat club or marina,
The BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water is a national
501(c)(3) nonprofit education and research organization primarily funded by
the voluntary contributions of 640,000 members of BoatU.S.
All contents are copyright (c) 2007 by
Northern Breezes, Inc. All information contained within is deemed reliable
but carries no guarantees. Reproduction of any part or whole of this
publication in any form by mechanical or electronic means, including
information retrieval is prohibited except by consent of the publisher.